What: This lesson provides an opportunity for children to learn more about poetry, understand the role of metaphors and comparisons in poetry, and reflect on aspects of their identity in order to write an acrostic poem about themselves.
Target grade level: Grades 2-5 under ELA and Ethnic Studies Standards
Source: Anti-Defamation League
- Students will learn how to write a simple poem using interesting words.
- Students will understand the role of comparison and metaphor in constructing poetry.
- Students will reflect on identity poems they read aloud.
- Students will reflect on different parts of their identity in order to develop an acrostic poem about themselves.
- Students will increase their understanding of personal and cultural identity.